Learning and living beyond the classroom
University is more than daily classes and labs—as an engineering student you have countless opportunities to participate in a fun, creative, and energetic community that values knowledge, sharing and service.
Whether you’re taking on a leadership role with the Engineering Students’ Society, inspiring young women with the DiscoverE Girls, Mentorship and Engineering (GEM) Club or raising money for cancer research in the annual Engineering Head Shave, you are contributing to your community, enriching your university experience and getting more out of it than you ever imagined.
So, get involved! The opportunities available to you during your university years don’t come around often — how many chances will you have to launch a rocket in Norway?
Read through the list below to find a group that piques your interest!
Engineering Students’ Society
Want to get involved with student governance and leadership on a large scale? The Engineering Students’ Society represents the needs of all students enrolled in the Faculty.
- Engineering Students' Society
Engineering Outreach Groups
If you are passionate about Engineering, Science, and Technology and want to share that passion with others, there are opportunities to help with outreach within the Faculty.
- Engineers Without Borders: University of Alberta Chapter
You also have the opportunity to get involved with student governance and leadership by joining your discipline club.
- Chemical Engineering Students' Society
- Civil Engineering Students' Society
- Computer Engineering Club
- Electrical Engineering Club
- Engineering Physics Club
- First Year Club
- Materials Engineering Students' Society
- Mechanical Engineering Club
- Mining Engineering Students' Society
- Petroleum Engineering Students' Society
Engineering Student Projects
Our extra-curricular design projects offer you the opportunity to practice hands on design and gain project management and leadership skills at the same time.
- AERO-SAE Heavy Lift (AERO)
- Autonomous Robotic Vehicle Project (ARVP)
- Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE)
- Great Northern Concrete Toboggan Race (GNCTR)
- University of Alberta Aerial Robotics Group (UAARG)
- University of Alberta EcoCar
Engineering Technical Societies
You can join Engineering Technical Societies as a student member.
- Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society
- IEEE Student Chapter
- SPIE Student Chapter