Our Faculty works with partners in industry, government, and professional organizations like the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta.
Industry and Government
Partners in the private and public sector help mentor our students.
- Engineering Co-op. Co-op students take on full-time paid engineering positions, applying the knowledge they’ve learned in the classroom to real-world problems with employment partners across Canada and around the world.
- Leading-edge teaching and research. Partners in industry and government support leading-edge teaching and research through the establishment of professorships and research chairs.
Our family of alumni plays an active role in helping to educate the next generation of engineers, through financial support for classrooms, labs, research centres, chairs and professorships; and sharing their expertise with students by participating in projects such as student design courses.
- Community outreach. Industry and alumni supporters help the Faculty’s community outreach initiatives like DiscoverE engineering and science camps. In 2012, DiscoverE reached nearly 23,000 children and youths through in-class workshops, camps, video conferences and events in more than 70 communities across Alberta and the Northwest Territories.
Donors play a pivotal role in education and research. Our supporters ensure that students and professors have access to be best facilities and resource available for teaching, learning, and research.
- Support teaching. The TW Fraser and Shirley Russell Teaching Fellowship provides a graduate student with a full-time teaching mentor every semester.
- Leading-edge teaching and research. Donors also help to support leading-edge teaching and research through the establishment of professorships and research chairs.
The Faculty of Engineering and the U of A have established formal exchange agreements with schools around the world, providing our students with opportunities to add valuable international experiences to their education.