Research & Innovation
Making a Difference
Our professors are world-renowned scholars who conduct basic and applied research independently and in collaboration with industry and government, providing solutions to real-world problems and helping to fuel economic growth and diversification.
Our students benefit by learning from these researchers, who bring new knowledge, ideas and discoveries to the classroom. Graduate students immerse themselves in research projects, playing a vital role in new discoveries. Undergraduate students have the opportunity to become involved in research through programs such as the Dean’s Research Awards.
The Faculty of Engineering has:
- 1 Canada Excellence Research Chair.
- 15 Canada Research Chairs.
- 16 Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Industrial Research Chairs—more than any engineering faculty in Canada.
- 5 Foundation Supported Chairs and 11 Endowed Chairs and Professorships. No other engineering faculty in Canada has a higher number of NSERC Industrial Research Chairs or Steacie Fellows.
- 9 Faculty of Engineering professors who have earned the prestigious Petro Canada Young Innovator Awards.
- Received over $50 million annually from external sources for sponsored research.